TechPublishing Now MS Certified

TechPublishing Now MS Certified
Professor Robert McMillen, MBA Microsoft Certified Trainer and Solutions Expert

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Upgrading to 2008 SBS

I started a company called All Tech 1 in Portland Oregon about the time of the bubble burst of 2001. After going through a lay-off I decided to go ahead and start it up siince it was a good time in my life to do it.
Yesterday one of my engineers came to me and said that he was stuck on a Windows 2003 to a Windows 2008 upgrade.
The new server was a domain controller, but couldn't replicate AD, and Exchange only saw the original server.
I went in to take a look at it. Almost all issues of replication seem to have something to do with DNS, so that's where I started. There was an entry for an old server pointed to 192.168.1.3. That was the same IP of the new server, but of a different name. After I updated the records I could get one way replication to work, but nothing else.
I made sure the name servers were also correct in the name server tab in DNS. It was also pointed to the old server. I restarted the netlogon service, and DNS server service and now replication was working both ways.
I was given the choice to restart the Exchange and other services, or to restart both servers in order for Exchange to work. I decided to just restart the servers and when it came back up Exchange saw both servers. Things moved much more smoothly after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment